Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Word count and goals for the week.

With my experience writing papers and articles throughout high school and college, I expected to fly through the first draft of my book easily. I had what I felt was a successful brainstorming, summary, outline, and detailed character summaries all ready to go. But when I sat down in front of the blank word document my brain seemed to wonder off into another world. I had NO idea how to begin. It quickly became obvious that writing nonfiction, and even outlining fiction, was nothing like putting your story down on paper. Three days into my first draft I have approximately 2500 words. While this is certainly nothing to scoff at, my expectations set me up for a sense of failure.

But instead of succumbing to it, I'm going to challenge myself to keep writing everyday- even if I only get a few hundred words down each session. My husband is in the field this week (he's military) so I have lots of time to myself and there is no reason not to take advantage of it. My personal challenge to myself is to have another 2500 words completed by the time he gets home Friday (which will bring me up to 5000 total). I'm going to try to evenly break it up to about 800 words a day, but as long as I complete the challenge I'm not that concerned about the daily totals.

Hopefully I can stick to my plan, and I will post the results (hopefully successful ones) on Friday or Saturday.

Until then, keep calm and write on :)
 -V

No comments:

Post a Comment